31 Jul Code Tip: D4283 and D4285 Periodontal Procedures
Documentation for soft tissue grafts should include:
- Tooth number and location of the defects (surface or area)
- Millimeters of recession (documented chart)
- Statement about progression of recession as documented in clinical chart at recall
- Presence of inflammation and location on tissue by tooth proximity
- Cervical caries—x-ray or photo proof
- Documented root sensitivity (cold, air, touch)
- Frenum presence and contributing to condition. Photos to illustrate.
- Evidence of keratinized gingiva and the amount of remaining attached gingiva(photos)
Statement that the treatment is not for cosmetic services but remember that some PPO contracts require that you submit even if the services are not covered by the plan.
Define the relationship that the procedure has with the integrity of the existing restorations or if orthodontic care is ongoing.
Dental Billing Tips and News for Pros; Edition #126